Saturday, July 24, 2010

The real fun begins! 10 weeks from Race.

Pre-training is over and now the real fun begins. I have gone on marathonrookie.com to get my training schedule. I also got one from trainingpeaks.com for beginners, but it has me running 9 miles today on the schedule so... yea.. I don't think I'll be doing that. I am now on a 10 week schedule to get me ready for this half marathon. Today, I took full advantage of the new training meetings downtown at the water tower. They meet at 7 a.m. to run the course of the race with mile markers set up. I made it to about a mile and a half and turned around to put in 3 miles today with a 5 min cool down. It wasn't a full 3 mile run.. more like a run/walk because let me tell you... it was a lot harder than I thought. Up until now, I have been running on a treadmill inside, no inclines with TVs to keep me occupied. Obviously, a very staunch difference from the nitty gritty, hot outdoors with scenery and cars passing by me to keep me occupied. My hope is that with each week I will only get better and I know that I will. Yes, at this point is where I think, "really, Jenna? Do you have any idea what you signed up for?" but I'll never know what I am capable of if I don't at least try. My biggest hurdle I think is sticking with it because I am so competitive and set such high standards for myself that if I don't do it right the first time or have the chance of looking bad then I give up which oddly enough, makes me look bad anyway. I will need all the motivation and encouragement I can get to stick with it because I know there will come a time when I want to throw in the sweaty towel around my neck. My little treat though at the end of a run... YOGA!! I am a big yoga fanatic right now and it is so cleansing and soothing. I did a 30 minute yoga body burn when I got home from my run and it felt great! Namaste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment